Originally Posted by texasaggie09
I am a FFL holder and just received an older Sako rifle from another FFL holder. The rifle does not have the serial number or action model stamped on the left side of the receiver. It is smooth with nice bluing as if it was never even stamped. On the right side of the receiver it has a serial number starting with "ATF" followed by several numbers. This serial looks to be professionally done by a laser engraver of some kind. I am not familiar with this type of serial as I have never seen one. Can anyone give me any insight on it?

Thanks!

I can help you out. I own a rifle that now has a new serial assigned by the ATF. It also starts with "ATF". It's a Remington 700 that had an aluminum sleeve pinned and epoxied around it. An old benchrest rifle. I took it to a local machine shop to turn the sleeve off because it was blind pinned in place. Anyway, they took off too much and turned off the serial number and the "Remington 700" markings. I contacted the local BATF office and reported it. I didn't have the original serial number. After about a week, they assigned a new serial number and gave me a letter allowing me to get it marked. There's a local company called A & A Engraving that does a lot of commeratives for a bunch of gun companies. They fixed it up nearly as good as new. Hope that helps.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"