I recently bought this 99 in .358 Win. from a neighbor that was moving. He'd used it as a saddle gun while operating a guide/packing service in Wyoming nearly 20 years ago. The price was $600, all that I could afford at this time.

It's condition was 95% or better for the metal work, but the stock and fore end finish was pretty badly scratched. Enough so, that I refinished it using Formby's Furniture Restorer and 0000 steel wool. It wasn't much of job to clean it up to bare wood, which I restained with Minwax' Gunstock stain, and a cpl coats of Minwax tung oil.

I'm a shooter and reloader, so I worked up a cast bullet load with RCBS' 200 gr FP and 4759. The combination gave me 1650 fps and inch and a half gps. at 100 yds from my porch rail with a Leupold M8 2.5x scope mounted. I zeroed the rifle for 125 yds, a good all around distance for Kentucky deer hunting here on our farm. Another combination with Hornady's excellent 200 gr RN bullet and 748 gives similar group sizes, albeit at 2200 fps.

It's a great gun for that purpose, fun to shoot and recoil is quite manageable. The whole rig weighs 8.6 lb., loaded with a sling attached.

I'm wondering about the manuf. date and any other information on this straight stocked 99. What did Savage call it in their catalogue, how many were made, approx. value with a refinished stock, etc. Serial number is: C454xxx

Here are a cpl pics; the buck was a 180 lb beauty, I took on the 2nd day of our season here in KY.

Best Regards, Rod (the other Savage is my EG in .300)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Rodfac; 11/26/15.

Thank a vet for your freedoms to worship, assemble, speech and vote. Preachers, politicians, journalists, and other elected officials had nothing to do with it.