Never really been all that "turned on" by the "other than 99* Savage offerings, but some of them are a bit interesting.

At the top of the list is the Savage 45 rifles. I obtained one of these (in .30-06 chambering) in a trade more than 30 years ago and my brother claimed it for his main deer rifle. he still uses that rifle to this day. It is a good looking rifle with a very nice stock design, It is not as strong an action as the offerings from Winchester (Model 54)/Remington (Model 30S) of that time, but in the 1920's it was a worthy competitor.

I always kind of like the Savage pistols (Model 1907, 15 and 17) and if you could find one of the .45 ACP models of the 1907 that were tested along with the 1911....you would have a rare piece of history.

The O/U Model 24 combo guns were always unique among American firearms and very useful and interesting. I can not think of a better "meat" gun than the Model 24.

The Model 340 bolt guns were a fine example of a low-cost way to get a deer (.30-30) of varmit (.222) rifle with the least output of cash.

I always liked another Savage model that is so often overlooked.....the pump-action Model 170. Chambered in .30-30 and .35 Remington, these rifles offered a fast action, close range option to the finer finished, but much more expensive Remington pump guns.

Perhaps the most used and overlooked offering from Savage/Stevens is the Model 311 shotgun. This gun had several model numbers over the years, but all were basically the same. While not as finely finished or balanced as the Parker, L.C Smith or A.H. Fox, it was a very strong action and allowed many to shoot an American-made double shotgun at a reasonable price. There is no way to know how many train-loads of game were taken with inexpensive Savage/Stevens doubles.

Generally speaking, you will not find really fine made firearms produced with the Savage name (other that 99's), but these firearms are a snap-shot of the guns used by the "average" shooter to put meat on the table......and are thus interesting in their own right.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know