I believe the 'problem' was the factory ammo and the smallish shoulder of the 358. I have even examined Winchester factory (red/yellow box) 257 Robt cases that had overly sloped/rounded shoulders easily detectable with the naked eye. 2 of the 20 cases in the 'new/old' box of unfired ammo had shoulders so unfilled out that the rounds would misfire if shooting was attempted.
The 358 Win has no 'inherent problems' IMO. I've owned an origional Win pre '64 FWT model 70 in 358 Win, owned a factory Ruger 77R in 358 Win (shot/hunted/hand loaded for 12 years) and never had one misfire. I did not get to shoot the pre 64 because for some reason it's collectabity and value and a willing buyer made me foolishly sell it. I think it was my ilogical 'too valuable to shoot' thinking that did it.
Know that if you are a handloader that NATO 308/7.62x51 cases are easily formed into 358 cases unless you want to wait for or find factory 358 Win brass somewhere.

Now, I did NOT shoot my pre 64 and it's possible that the chamber's could have been cut to the large end of SAMMI specs, but I would buy one again if a deal came along, and just fire form my hand loads to get proper fitting cases.... That's IF the chambers were a bit oversized. I still think it must have been inconsistency of factory ammo of the day after seeing other unformed factory cases on factory new ammo of the day.

Last edited by Alaninga; 11/29/15.