That is a tricky question. Collectors or limited edition rifles are too nice to be used on a hard hunt for me. I feel more comfortable shooting those rifles on the range in a controlled environment. I don't want to be constantly babying a pristine collectors rifle while trying to beat my way through the woods. I've tried that before and it's frustrating as hell. A standard or deluxe model 70 in a featherweight is what I would want to hunt with. When the weather turns nasty you can't beat a fine SS rifle like a Kimber Montana or the like. If the weather isn't sloppy I'm more inclined to carry a traditional model 70 featherweight that is nice looking but replaceable. That way any little ding or scratch becomes a cherished memory of that hunt.

This is what I feel comfortably hunting with as opposed to my JOC tribute gun for my 270 rifle.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
So here's a follow up question, and I'm sure this will be personal preference as well...

What quality level of gun would you say is "too fancy" or "too nice" to make a week in, week out hunting rifle? Not a workhorse gun by any means, I have synthetic stocked guns for that. But I plan to hunt this rifle. It will take on a ding or two or three I'm sure. When is it "too nice" to hunt without stressing over it?

Last edited by mystro; 12/01/15.

The Lord loves humility.