Originally Posted by 28lx
Originally Posted by Brad
Yeah, "loud" is relative... there's not a wing safety out there that is as quiet as a 2-pos Remington-type safety.

OTOH, there's no game situation where it would make a difference. The fussyism's of this site don't generally translate into any kind of real-world difference.

I'll stick with 3-pos wing safeties...

I actually find the noise kind of handy. Several times I've had deer inside 20 yards and the click of the safety has stopped them for the shot.

I've had the noise of the safety get noticed by deer numerous times, hunting blacktail in western Oregon. I'd rather they didn't, so I practiced, and on my Remington's I can kinda ride it forward more or less silently. I can't really do that on the 3-pos wing on my Kimber, but I don't hunt blacktails in the jungle with it anyway.

It pains me to do so but I gotta disagree with Brad and Bob. There are hunting situations where a noisy safety can be a liability. Who wants to make a loud metallic CLICK when trying to get a shot on a very close deer? A few BT's I've killed, I killed them because I sat completely still and silent for an eternity... you know you are doing it right when a chipmunk runs across your boot, or a bird lands on you, both of which have happened to me.... the deer are CLOSE, everything is quiet.... Artificial noises are a tangible liability in that situation. Any kind of nylon clothing rustle, creak, or of course click will get noticed. I once missed out on a shot when the Velcro on the cuff of my jacket grabbed onto the fleecy stuff my pants were made of, and made that Velcro sound when I started to raise my arm... I killed the buck anyway but it was much harder as he was now on the alert and moving away.

Now it's very true that in my elk hunting, mule deer hunting, and even blacktail hunting where you aren't right there "in it" with them, a loud safety wouldn't matter. And that probably encompasses most hunting. But not all hunting.

(The reason you have to get in so tight with them is that in some areas, that's all there IS, and/or the deer are so nocturnal that you have to ambush them between bed and food, because you'll never catch them out in the open when it's light. You might get one as he drifts slowly from his bedding area to wherever it is he's going to feed that night. So you find active trails and sit 'em, but it is so THICK, you might only be 15, 20 yards off the trail or even less. I've had multiple deer (does, non-shooters) well under 10 feet away.)

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!