I have dozens of Boyd's stocks. Used to be Remington 700 deluxe came with them. That is still my favorite Boyd stock. The grey is called pepper by Boyd and it is by far their favorite laminate. The stocks are incredibly strong. You could buy it direct. I think the black laminate (as I call it) is the nicest, pepper on the Boyd listings......You can get that two ways, matte finish or glossy, I think both are very nice! I have not altered the weight on mine. Too hollowed a stock and you get a sound box effect.....Kimber is an example, some find that very irritating. Classic, Pararie Hunter, etc. are pretty long stocks. For example a Winchester Model 70 Ultimate Shadow stock stock is shorter and lighter than the Boyd stock. REALIZE I base this on many Boyd's versus manufacturer stocks. That usually fit very well, you might want to make you you get the floating etc., of your barrel. I know Macmillan stocks too, but Boyd's have been the way I went. I am very fussy about rifle stocks as I own a wood working industry. I do feel Boyd's needs to make more lightweight featherweight style stocks with as little extra weight as possible! By the way I think the pepper (grey) laminate looks and works great on stainless barrel and actions as well as blued.In terms of spooking wildlife with non camouflage or blacked out rifles.....I used to be a wildlife biologist and think there is very little real proof of that effect. I do know that a Boyd grey laminate and stainless rig is the harder for me to find after I lay it down while hunting if there is any snow at all!