Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Henry McCann
JorgeI that could probably be done with a bison if you were close enough; again Bells success with elephants. I was just surprised by the posts of those who felt the caliber and premium bullets that were needed to kill a bison.

Heck, use a .577 Tyrannosaur or a .700 Nitro Express and I will truly be more than happy for you. I was just sharing my one experience.

Bell's "success" with elephants (and I take it you are referring to the 7X57 or 6.5 MS) is a bit of a romanticized misnomer. He was hunting elephants who had no clue as to what a man could do with a rifle (believe me they've learned) and by his own admission, he lost MANY wounded animals and recognized the caliber's limitations. In a round about way, it's the same justification people use for the 45/70 and call it a proper DG caliber. Sure, a 45/70 will kill just about anything with proper bullet/placement (look at the number of elephants killed with the 308 for example) but it sure as hell ain't a DG caliber by any stretch.

Exactly like the buffalo hunters of the 18 Hundred's they shot them like prairie dogs

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""