Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by gunner500
May be TexnCal will stop by, shot his 480 Ruger at a hog hunt, IIRC we were firing 400+ gr bullets, a really sweet shooting revolver, and somewhat modest recoil for all the performance we were putting downrange, nice cartridge.

smile

[Linked Image]

Mine is the Super Redhawk, with 7½" barrel, an early production SRH. That load we shot at the Tenn. Hog Hunt was 24gr of Lil'Gun under a 355gr Oregon Trail gas checked bullet, in Hornady brass. It was running about 1325 fps, but varied more than I liked in velocity. I think I have some 370gr BFN bullets from either Beartooth or Cast Performance, but have not tried them yet. One of those big hard cast slugs would probably shoot through anything in North America. Recoil is significant; I usually wear a PAST glove at the range otherwise it will start to bother me after 10-15 shots.

Speer makes a 275gr jacketed bullet for the .480 and I suspect that one will easily kill a deer and kick less than the big cast bullets. I also plan to try some Accurate #9 in it - also Starline brass. The Hornady brass seemed to me to be inconsistent, so I want to see if brass helps the problem.

The Super Redhawk is sorta homely looking. smirk But it easily accepts Ruger's scope mounts, and is a 6 shot gun. Arguably, it's the most powerful 6 shot production revo ever made.

I think the Bisley .480 is neat and will be fun for hunting. For serious big bear protection, or if easy scope mounting is desired, I think the big double action SRH is arguably a bit more functional.

Bowen will do a conversion on the regular Redhawk, to install a full lug barrel, and add a 5 shot cyinder. I think that approach with a 5" full lug barrel in .480 or .475L - maybe with integral scope mounts - would make an awfully slick revo. Good for hunting or big bear protection.

OOPSblush, maybe we were talking about your Linebaugh/Turnbull too, a few years past and 'then events' clouded by fermented corn liquid have clouded my memory.grin

You have a nice shooting revolver nonetheless.

Trump Won!