I’m looking at a new elk area. It has a gated road/trail that bisects the area for 15 miles (15.3 according to my topo program). No motorized vehicles are allowed on it – horse, foot, non-motorized only. Backpacking/hiking is always an option. I’m really interested in several areas in the ‘middle’ which are about 5-9 miles in. In talking with the Game and Fish folks, they indicate not many people venture back in the road/trail – most either hunt the wilderness areas above it or do the day hike thing. I’m sure I’m not the only one with the idea – but the distances should help weed people out. Supposedly no outfitters use the road/trail because of the nearby wilderness area.

The logistic issue isn’t getting in there, it’s getting a critter out. Before I pull the trigger, I need to have the pack out thought through. Carrying an elk on my back for 5-8 miles ain’t gonna happen. The G&F folks suggested a bicycle with a baby carrier. The road is quite flat and follows the contour of the land except in 2 places where a short pack/bike push will be in order. Significant snow screws everything up but I have a backup area in the neighborhood without this logistic issue in the event weather becomes an issue. A game cart might work but I’ve never tried hauling/pushing/dragging a game cart. I did bring out a deer in a wheelbarrow one time for 1.5 miles in a similar situation. It worked well.

A. Anyone ever used a bike with any type of carrier or game cart?
B. Have any other ideas?

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.