My guide season is finally over and i have a few moments to write a few little stories up.
Had a great client come up on his dream dall sheep hunt this past august. He was in great shape and above all had an amazing attitude, one of those guys you almost hate to see tag out cause you love hunting with them!
Day two found us in the back of a valley, with four rams in the spotting scope. All just shy of full curl, but one that appeared to have legality on age. I decided a closer look was in order, told the client it was doubtfull but still a closer look is better than giving up! we talked about how there could be other rams, over the rise or out of sight. Sheep are funny like that.
We moved to within 460 yards and then were busted as the biggest of the rams stared us down. I had him in the spotter and noticed he looked bigger than he had before, another ram came up and kicked him stiffly in the balls, while laying his head across this rams back. It was a fifth ram, just happened to show up and check these younger rams out while we were doing the same thing!
three of the rams, stook with their foreheads pressed against each others, pushing back and forth, sizing up the other. my client was loaded and ready with his 280 ackley improved. the new ram was shy of full but broken both his tips off and appeared to have age on the other rams. in a moment he walked straight away from the small band of rams, out onto his own. he died that way, high up in the loose wet rocks with a bullet thru his chest.
It ended up behing a blessing of a ram, as alaskas weather turned for the worse for the next two months. Was one of the neatest sheep hunting experiences i've had aside from calling rams in. but thats another story....

[Linked Image]

On my gear side of things this year, i dropped my conventional sleeping bag and went with a Enlightened Equipment zero degree quilt. its right about 20oz and one of the warmest sleep systems i've ever had. this year i'll be getting new backpacking tents, as my old 3lb $180 tents are finally wore out after 10 years of use...
wish i had bought more of them.
also went with a delorme inreach sat texter, which worked awesome, even can get a weather report on it! my goal zero charger worked well for keeping it and my iphone charged up.