Originally Posted by moosemike
The 7mm Remington mag is falling out of favor . At least regionally. Two years ago I asked Shyda's, Lebanon PA's largest gun shop, why they didn't have any 7 mags on the shelves? They told me they don't sell anymore. They said the .300 Win mag has supplanted it. Apparently the military has made the .300 Win all the rage.

Well... sure... where you reside I can understand that a 7mm Remington Mag, or any of the mags are really not needed. In the mountains and plains of Montana & Alaska, it is quite different. And... those "new guys" going to the 300 Win just because of its military sniper record probably are not killing many head of big game. Not that the 300 isn't great at it... it is! I probably like it a bit better than the 7-Mag because of heavier slugs for big bears and such.

I was just doing a quick tally of the game my family harvested this year in Montana and Alaska. We put 28 animals in the freezer this fall with a variety of rifles... all but one are on my top 5 list (338 Federal)... most with 30-06, 308, 300 Win Mag and 7 Rem Mag. Not that this is any gauge of anything really... just what we did.