Originally Posted by Idaho_Elk_Huntr
Looking for a 3-4 man tent. Something that will work if needed 365 days a year. It will be hauled around in the jeep so don't need something to pack. Simple quick setup and take down would be nice.

Although the Arctic Oven and Barneys Bomb Shelter are durable 4-season tents with lots of room, they have their draw backs, when used in the situation that the OP asks about. When packed up, the package is pretty big and takes up a lot of room. That could be a problem in the back of a Jeep if you also have other stuff you want to carry. They are also time consuming to setup and take down. They are compatible with a wood stove but the OP did not mention stoves.

I just re-read the original post and have quoted it above for reference. Idaho Elk Hunter is not looking for a tent to live in. He wants a tent to carry around in the back of his Jeep and use it when he wants to camp. IMHO what he's looking for is a 4-season expedition mountaineering dome tent like a North Face VE-25, Cabelas XPG-4-season with aluminum poles, Marmot Thor, Eureka K2-XT, etc. These tents have a lower profile than the AO and BS, they are easier to setup and take down, take up less room when packed, and weigh less than the AO and BS. The Cabelas Alaska Guide tents generally have a higher profile and therefore are inherently less capable of enduring high winds but even they would be better than an AO or BS for the stated purpose. These tents could be easily heated with Little Buddy in the winter.

I assume that anyone using a tent (ANY TENT) knows to erect it sheltered from the wind (when possible), fully staked down, and tied down with every loop available.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.