I've been looking at the Ruger Guide Gun (in 30-06) for a rifle to stick in a saddle scabbard, keep in the back seat, and just plain get a lot hard use out of. No doubt the Ruger is up to the task, I'm actually more interested in the sights.
For the sake of durability, keeping the rifles weight at 8 pounds, ease of getting in and out of scabbards, and less re-sighting in sessions, I'd like to keep a scope off of it.
That leaves me a couple of choices, use they stock sights (and as far as I've been told its stock Express Sights are of good quality), or put an apeture on it. I'd just like to here, from people who know about the things they're talking about, how these two sight designs stack up.
I've heard lots of good things about peep sights, and lots of criticisms of every iron that isn't a peep, but also that there is number of people who use the V Notch and will stick up for it. I also understand that Elmer Keith liked them for work up close.
I'm not getting this rifle for shooting past 150, so long range accuracy isn't a determining factor.

P.S. I have good eye sight.