The Performance of my Toyo tires has been flawless! They now have 35,000 miles so they have gone beyond functional use on my truck. Since it's been mostly used off road on the ranch I was not concerned about driving with this level of wear. Funny thing is that with the limited slips axles front and rear and these completely worn out tires I was never stuck or worried about getting stuck! These monster tires are flawless offroad even totally worn out!

The fuel mileage is the issue for the next year. Those big 37" X 13.50 tires dropped my MPG by a huge percentage. They weigh 90 plus pounds each. Combined with a high rolling resistance of the aggressive tread design.

I have several trips coming this year across the USA and Canada pulling my 22 foot travel trailer. I'm looking for a 37" tire to keep my gear ratios proper, but need a far less aggressive tread to bump my MPG back up. I've also realized that this truck does not need super aggressive tires to drive wherever I need to go. As just experienced with the thread bare Toyo's I have now. All four tires turning with marginal traction greatly trumps one tire with great deep aggressive treads in the front turning and one in the back turning.

No tires or lift kits, can surpass limited slips ( or lockers) front and rear. interesting little story, I saw a suburu forester and a Jeep fooling around in a safeway parking lot that was being snow plowed. That forester was driving up and over the snow banks with the jeep doing the same. Then the suburu went over a flat deep spot that was 40 yards wide and 20-24" deep, he spun and twisted and struggled and popped out the other side. The jeep wrangler followed him and got buried..... stuck solid. The fella in the forester drove up next to him stopped, chatted a bit, and then drove through again! He began doing laps around the guy in the jeep while rooster tails of snow were shooting up from one front and one rear tire of the Jeep!

That was a great example of four wheel drive that actually uses all four wheels with power, VS the open diffs on a Wrangler. Even though the vehicles have such different designs for off road use. I'm sure that guy in the wrangler was baffled at how that puny underpowered small tire low ground clearance suburu could show him up in his mighty jeep wrangler.

So back to the topic. I need a 37" minimal aggressive tire for the next few years. I was getting 16MPG plus with the BFG AT's. They just got squirrely at 30,000. Probably a better tire for a 1/2 ton gas truck. The heavy diesel might be a bit too much?

The Nitto terra grappler, and the coopers maxx seem like the guys to beat now. The evo's don't come in 37" The Yokohama geolanders make a perfect tire, however I've never seen or known of this brand. I'm nervous to buy a tire I've never heard of. Both the Nitto's and the cooper are American made.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)