So, yesterday turned out to be the worst possible day to do my first ever upland bird hunt. 30mph winds on top of a 11*F ambient temperature meant a BIG challenge. The guide I had even said it would likely be the worst hunting experience I'll ever have, but since I'd already driven 2.5 hours to get there, I said "screw it, let's do this thing!"

Bird #1: Stupid cross-bolt safety on the Mossberg
Bird #2: Lead him by a bit more than I would have on a calm day, apparently it wasn't enough
Bird #3: Lead her by even more than bird #2, still not enough
Bird #4: Chuckars are frikken wily little bastards aren't they?!
Bird #5: He's not going to be flashing those tailfeathers much, but apparently you need 5' of lead on a bird in 30 mph winds to get the shot to land where it needs to.
Bird #6: Apparently this chuckar has watched a little too much top gun. I'm pretty sure he was inverted over me at some point flippin' me the bird.

I got SKUNKED and I'm not afraid to admit it. I still had a great time though and the preserve I hunted was really great. It wasn't their fault so much as mine and the weather. Hoping to go back again later this spring when I don't have to contend with gale force winds.

[Linked Image]