Originally Posted by ELKiller
I thought this might be a fun twist on gun selection... Instead of picking "the best caliber for deer", or "the best antelope rifle", I'll lay out a situation, and you pick your ideal rifle for those conditions.

To avoid a pisssin' contest, let's all just assume the shooter is someone who practices often and can make the shot presented.

Situation:

Quarry: Bull Elk (let's shoot for the moon and say he's 380"+)
Animal's demeanor: feeding & calm
Animals orientation: ever so slightly quartering towards you
Terrain: Open sage country (assume you can't get closer)
Distance: 510 yards
Shooter position/rest: Prone across the hunters back pack
Shooter demeanor: Calm as one could be when shooting at a 380" bull grin
Wind: little to no wind, assume 0-5 mph
Temperature: 30 degrees Fahrenheit
Other weather notes: No snow, but the weather man says that it will (they're never right... or are they?).

Well, there you have it... I have my own opinion, but let's hear which gun/ammo combo you would you want in this situation...

The one with which I'm most familiar, and that'd be my Rem. 700 .30-06.

Those conditions aren't that radical; any decent rifle capable of even 2MOA consistently chambered in any 6mm and up caliber on the x51, x57, x61 (or larger), WSM, or belted magnum cases and firing a good bullet will do the job nicely - as long as the shooter is capable of and confident in the shot.

Last edited by 4ager; 01/20/16.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.