Originally Posted by Cabarillo
Saw the word "subaru" above. Thinking about getting rid of my 10 MPG pickup and using one for a truck. Any thoughts to help me make up my mind? Wife is on second outback so have some experience.

They won't replace a truck but my Subaru Outback has carried most things I've needed carried: dog, hunting equipment (guns & decoys), rimfire benchrest rifles and equipment, bags of sand, birdseed, bags of soil/compost, even boxes of pheasant when I did some stocking at a pvt club. They are great in snow and comfortable to drive and gets 30 mpg on the highway. This is my second one and has 125K on it.

My first one was rear-ended at 110K and totaled. When I got rear-ended by a Civic while turning into a skeet club, my car was propelled thru the road-side club sign, (snapping a 4x4 post) into a bunch of small cedars. Every surface was dented, mirrors and muffler ripped off etc. When the trooper arrived he said a tow truck wouldn't be able to get to me to tow me out. Wondered if I could back it out. We had to cut down some of the small cedars I went over/thru and I backed it out onto the road. I went and shot skeet with my Dad and sister, then drove to my folks house. The next day I took it to a Subaru dealer to see if it was safe to drive the 4 hour drive to my home. They repaired the muffler, pulled out cedar branches from the undercarriage and said I was good to go. Even the alignment was good. I was hoping the insurance company wouldn't total it as I really liked that car, but they did. I went out and bought my second Subaru. They are tough!! The Civic was destroyed and had to put on a flat-bed.

Sorry for the thread drift.