MY factory ADL Remington stock splitjust forward of the trigger guard where the right side curves into the bottom. It had been bed by a gunsmith previously and believe the crack eppoxied. I bought a Boyds walnut and bed it myself and this weekend discovered a crack almost identical to the original.

Last time out I had trouble getting the old reliable Burris scope to settle in with some 105 grain loads and took it out this weekend to see if my standard 85 hpbt's would fly ok. I found the action screws to need snugging and that is when I found that the stock had split.

I think i know the answer but is the stock splitting due to my over torquing the action screws? If so why would they be looser now, maybe because of the split developing?

No- I don't have a torque wrench and am planning to get one now but how hard would one have to crank for that to be the cause? (Flame on)

I want a beautiful walnut for this one but if I go that route will definitely pillar bed as I assume it will keep it from splitting.

Just want to get some thoughts before I say screw it and go synthetic.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius