I would take a somewhat different approach in order to get a blend of speed and precision. First, I would cut the fixed blade very wide and open, regulated for about 30 yards. That would be my fast/up close sight that would be ready in an instant. It would look something like this sight, on a well-used .458 Win that was the every day carry gun for a Zimbabwean PH who specialized in buffalo and tuskless elephant. A sight like this facilitates shotgun-like snap shooting, and will still be useful in really dim light.

[Linked Image]

Then I would cut the first blade with a very fine notch, regulated for not much further--maybe 50 yards. Sometimes you need to thread a bullet through the mopane and only have a tiny window, or maybe you see a dandy tiny antelope, like a duiker or a klipspringer and have to hit a target the size of the palm of your hand. So the first folding blade gives you the lateral precision to make such a shot.

This lousy photo shows how I cut the sights for my 9.3x62. You can (barely) see the lighter colored outline of the fixed blade and its wide V-shape. But then there is the first folding blade with tighter square notch, but having the much the same height, is regulated for the same distance.

[Linked Image]

Some people think about regulating multi-leaf sights only in terms of distance. There can be more to it than that.