Originally Posted by roundoak
Brad, I'll see your 3.6 oz and lower it to 1.4 - 1.5oz.. grin I have 3 or 4 of the Couglin's "pocket" Sierras that have a 4" blade. It will handle most of my backpacking and canoe trip needs when portaging is involved.

But it doesn't have the style points of the Opinel.

Yep, we've got several of the Coghlin's laying around the house. My wife used hers this past summer on our week-long backpack in the Beartooth's... by the 3rd night it had blown apart. It's basically junk. Reference my above comments about blade length/temper/handle-blade junction strength. Also, its blade just doesn't cut anywhere nearly as well as the Opinel or Sierra.

At the end of the day, a piece of gear has to work well, day in, day out, for its intended use. IME the Coghlin's doesn't meet that criteria, which is why I went with the slightly heavier (2.2 oz's), but more infinitely usable Opinel... and yes, it does have a bit of style to boot laugh

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery