Here you can see that the brown 3900 Unaweep pack does not look any differently than the Grey Divide 4500. Yes the 3900 has a touch more in the pack but overall is it not a difference that I would choose the 3900 based on the volume spec being smaller.

[Linked Image]

Bottle pockets
The bottle pockets have been improved in that they have a larger pocket that can hold more and a true bottom and not a tapered shape that is in my other Seekoutside pack bags. The new shape it really holds 2 larger 1 liter bottle better. The older shape held 1 liter and a smaller size really well. You can still reach back and get water in and out as you walk. 1 liter at a time in each pocket is much easier to do this with than when 2 liters are in each pocket. The taller skinnier smartwater shape corrects this and for me will more than likely be the way I go if I need to carry 2 liters in each pocket (humid summer season here in the South).

Mesh outside pocket
What I like about the mesh pocket is that it is made from a durable mesh material, it is spacious without being too large, you can see the contents and you are able to close off the opening to prevent items from working out of the top. This mesh pocket I can say has spoiled me after 1 13 mile trip. I only had to go into my pack after we settled in for dinner. All my daily items plus some was stored in the mesh pocket and it was in no way crowded. I also like the material that was chosen for the mesh material because if torn it can be repaired easily by hand with common paracord innards or even fishing line.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Buckle change
The buckles used on the Divide pack are an alloy flat buckle. It uses a hook on 1 end and a tri thread system to tighten on the other. For the Divide pack I really liked this buckle. It is simple, I don't see it breaking ever and was easy to use with gloves on.

This shows the buckles I’m referring to
[Linked Image]

I found that attaching my closed cell pad on the bottom of the pack I liked these buckles better than the clip style buckles that are on the other packs.

Upper intrusion bar
One common issue with packs in the lighter weight category is pack "barreling" or the pack bag rounding out when full and pushing the pack itself away from your center of gravity. This happens more so with framless packs but due to the minimal yet substantial frame design this was one side effect from the older Seekoutside system. This has been corrected and I can say vastly improved the pack staying close to your back. I was shocked at how well this 2.5 oz addition did to improve the feel and carrying ability when the pack is full. This is also an addition that can be purchased separately and will retro fit any of the Seekoutside packs.
This is a decent load and the pack is not being pushed away from my back.

[Linked Image]

Overall carry comfort
In light weight backpacking you spend a lot of time choosing lighter pack loads. The last perk I must mention about this pack system is the overall ability to carry loads well. This pack you literally can not tell much difference in a 20lb load or a 26lb load. And with 2" to 4" frame extensions it has the ability to carry 40lb up to 100lbs. I use this same system but in another configuration to carry heavy bulky loads when hunting (treestands, bags of mineral, ect.).

All in all I would have never thought that this system back in early 2015 would have changed my outlook on how packs should function, overall weight and carry comfort as well as influence me on what I don't like about packs that I at 1 time loved! If your wanting a performance pack and you find that you are still not totally happy with what you have take a good hard look at the seek outside system. It may change what you prefer a pack to do for you.

www.bgoodeknives.com

NC Knifemaker