Been up there many a time...

My ex wife's younger sister, got a job teaching up there after graduating College as a Speech Therapist...she took the job in Canada, because of the pay, thinking they paid better than Minnesota, but in reality it was that the Canadian Dollar was so much less...

originally she picked Dauphin to be assigned to, but someone from that town graduated with a degree in the same discipline, so she went traded spots with them, and took Flin Flon, having no idea where it even was...

1100 miles NW of Minneapolis....

the town is a trip... was build on top of rock, instead of clearing out the woods to build...so the sewer system is above ground in a lot of places...covered by insultation and what looks like wood crate....

one road in and out to there on the Manitoba Side, and Rte 106 from Saskatchewan ( worked with a gal, that was from over that way in Sask. also...) 90 miles south is the next town "The Pas"....

Winter time, the town is like the Movie, "The Birds".. all of these huge ravens come in from "the Bush" and hang all over town to feed on rubbish, and things... being more abundant than what they find in the bush....they make life hell for every little lap dog and cat... who when outside spend their life rushing from under one parked car to the next, as these ravens dive to try and kill them to eat...
darn birds are the size of a big chicken and real nasty SOBs.....

Nadeen's house was built on a big rock.. which took up half her basement.. which I thought was weird...

She ended up Marrying a Mountie from up there....his family ran a fly in fishing outfitters that had a lot of clientele from the States, especially the Midwest...

People would make it up there, and then they would drive them south of town to a couple of lakes that the Hwy passes between and they had float planes there.. they'd take off and drop down to another lake or so after a 2 minute flight.... then the Americans especially would complain about coming all that way, only to get a 2 minute flight...

the outfitter would tell them to fish that Lake for the day... if they didn't like the results, they'd fly them to any lake in Canada they wanted to go to....after the days results, they never had any complainers...

other thing I thought was 'spooky' while up there in the winter... some guys went out on Snow Mobiles and evidently got lost and ran out of fuel... the RCMP looked for them for a week... when they never found them or the snowmobiles, they figured that they had succumbed to being wolf schitt...David told me that they found the snow mobiles in the spring, but no trace of the snowmobilers...

I always enjoyed going up to Flin Flon.. especially the drive.. beautiful long drive.. a lot of wilderness, and enjoyed Lake Winnipeg to the east of the highway....

and heck the town and people were great once ya got there...

my Canadian Mountie Brother in Law was a hoot, as were his friends and family...

if you go there, enjoy the town, and local area.. and enjoy the road trip up there....simply wonderful...

( ooops, forgot to translate this into Canadian...) eh?