I started a thread on good and bad PHs, and I thought it only fitting to start a discussion on good clients and bad clients.

Based upon conversations with PHs and articles and books I have read, some clients are a real PITA and some become like family members or close friends.

PHs seem to like clients that are honest about their shooting and hunting abilities and disabilities.

They like clients that are familiar with their rifles and can shoot accurately under field conditions, and above all, are safe to be around.

They like clients that can get up at 4:00 am and hunt until dark without being grumpy.

They like clients that are in good enough physical condition to meet the demands of the hunt.

They basically like clients that are easy-going, serious about hunting, and are fun to be around.

Stories I have heard of bad clients include.

Clients who are just plain unsafe to be around with when carrying a loaded gun.

Clients who are unfamiliar with, or afraid to shoot their guns.

Clients who just can't shoot worth a darn.

Clients who brag non-stop, yet never seem to function when in pressure situations.

Clients who drink too much and wake up with hangovers.

Clients who complain about the weather, the food, the accommodations.

Clients who refuse to shoot the animal after being given a reasonably good opportunity.

Clients who want the PH to shoot the game (especially DG) for them.

Clients who are obsessed with getting a record-book trophy and get upset when the animal they shot is an inch or two short of what they expected.

Clients who hunt dangerous game and either have a severe case of "buck fever" or chicken out entirely when it comes to the moment of truth.

Some of the PHs I have hunted with have told some really interesting stories about some of their clients.

One guy told me about a couple of Columbian drug lords he had as clients on an elephant hunt. The guys had brought in vast quantities of food and alcohol, and even had brought in two or three Columbian hookers.

Every night turned into a wild party (for the clients, as the PH, who was married demurely declined) including music and nude dancing girls, gourmet food, expensive wines, and Cuban cigars.

Another PH told me of tracking a large bull elephant for miles day after day, and when he finally got the client set up for the shot; the client refused, saying he couldn't see the elephant and wanted the PH to shoot it for him (which the PH did - but he told me he lost all respect for the client after that).

Then there was the client who shot an elephant after the PH specifically told him not to shoot, since that elephant wasn't carrying enough ivory to be worthwhile. After the elephant was down, the client started complaining that the elephant wasn't as big as he thought and he wanted to shoot another. The outfitter obliged, but the client was forced to pay for another 14-day hunt on top of the additional trophy fee.

I could go on, but I'm sure others on this forum have some interesting stories to tell about good clients and bad.

BH63

Last edited by BH63; 02/03/16.