I am in the process of clearing out some of my scopes and replacing them with the Leupold with CDS system. I am currently trying to decide between two scopes, and am having a hard time deciding. I figure lots of you guys have experience with Leupold scopes and might have some useful input. The two models I am looking at are...
1. VXR 4-12x40 firedot with cds
2. VX-3i 4.5-14x40 with cds

I am aware that the VXR has firedot which is nice, but not sure how practical it is in actual hunting situations, and I don't like the fact that it doesn't have side focus.
I am also a tad concerned that the firedot is just something else to "go wrong" years down the road. I see lots of 20-30 year old scopes going strong, and can't help but wonder if they had been equipped with lighted reticles back then, would they still be working thirty years later....doubtful ....lol

Also the VX-3i supposedly has better glass as well as side focus.
The VX-3i has a slightly smaller duplex which would be better for longer shots, but "may" get washed out in low light in brush. Also not sure if BOTH reticles are etched or not.

As of now I guess I am leaning towards the VX-3i due to the better glass and side focus, but not totally committed yet...lol

I was hoping someone of you guys and gals had some opinions on these two scope that may help me decide between the two. Thanks