I have a sub 6lb ruger in 358. It has an MPI stock and a #2 Douglas at 20"

I haven't measured the barrel thickness at the muzzle to see if it would be possible to get to a 9.3 in the #2 but just going by looks, If building it myself I would opt for a #3

My 358 is fairly lively shooting 200 grainers, but not painful. I stout load under a 225 partition is getting into the transition zone. Part of that is the compact size of the stock.

Here is the 358,

[Linked Image]

and to show how compact the MPI stock is, here it is next to the McMillan MKII classic it replaced.

[Linked Image]

Some 20 years ago I built a very similar rifle 20" #2 douglas, brown kevlar stock on a tang safety in 358 Norma and it was one of the worst kickers I ever fired. It wasn't really how hard it kicked but more of how fast it came back.

As for me I could go for a 9.3 like you suggest. It ( like my 358) would be a carry a lot, shoot a little rifle. My feeling is that the recoil of the 9.3 would be better than that of the Norma.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge