Thanks for chiming in folks wink Good to see there is other peeps who appreciate the heavier, dare I say it old school 175 grainers in the 7rm, and other cartridges.

Bellydeep, I had to play a bit with the 'old' ruger to get it to shoot 175 grain IL, PT actually almost anything. It never really was a real group shooter due to its burned barrel state but good enough to get a couple years of hunting in with it before it gave it all up. I posted a pic of a dink mule deer buck I killed with the ol' ruger here a few years back, it was done in with a single 175 gr. horn IL. Performance was stellar in the deer, then the bullet almost felled about a two inch alpine fir tree after exiting the deer... cool

Retumbo is what I used for load development in the new ruger. It worked better than RL22 in the old ruger so I gave it a try in the new ruger. I cheated a bit... used the same recipe I had for the old ruger in the new ruger and all is very good.

The rumor was floating around that Remington quit offering there 175 grain 7mm rem mag core-lokt load.... which I have not saw in a while in different stores, again lots of 140- 150 generic loads available, Thats a shame. One of the loads that put the 7mm rem mag in the spot it is in today was the rem 175 gr core-lokt loads...

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member