I've moved away from the 16X scopes, both SWFA and Leupold. They seemed like a good idea when I was getting started in long range shooting, but after a while I saw the light, and have shifted to SWFA 10X and 12X.

The 16X drawbacks for me were the small FOV, critical eye-relief, critical parallax, and of course they are not as bright, especially on a 40-42mm objective.

Anything I could see/shoot with the 16X, I can do just as well with the lower power 10/12X. Part of the reason has to do with the current SWFA MQ reticle, it is very fine in the center. Subtension of the center line on the 12X is .04 mils, which is about .14" at 100 yards.

Given the huge erector travel of the SS line, I like to mount them to make as much of that travel useable as reasonably possible.

I have a couple mounted on 45 MOA Picatinny rails. in heavy tactical type rings. from Badger Ord. These setups give a useable 33 mils on the erector, from a 100 yard zero. This setup is best on a stock with a fairly high comb, or adjustable comb if you like that.

[Linked Image]

I have a 10X mounted on an HTG stock with a notoriously low comb. The HTG is about right with a stock pack to pad up the comb, and the scope mounted in Burris Medium dual-dovetail Signature rings. The eccentrics add about 19 moa forward slope, and I put a 40/thou shim under the rear base, for about 59 MOA forward slope. This gives 35 mils useable in the erector, and keeps the scope down low to the rifle.

(boresighting)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Shane