I purchased a NIB stainless short action 1999, that the dealer had purchased about 2-3 years ago, I like the action with one exception, it seems the timing is off as there is a significant cock on close. I realize your action is a cock on open as most bolt actions have been since Paul brought out the 98. When I close the bolt the cocking piece moves back about 1/8\", that is what I mean by cock on close. Since the bolt is being cocked it takes a significant force to close the bolt. When this happens with a Rem 700 we say the action needs to be timed.

I have a number of pre-64 70\'s, a FNH model 70, and about a half dozen 98\'s a mixture of commercial and military and none of these close as hard as the 1999 I just bought. I have not installed a barrel on the 1999 nor done anything else to the action other than cycle it.

I asked the same of MRC through their website and they said "Yes sir. It is designed to cock on the close and with a 24 lb spring that is why the cock on close is harder."

My question: Do your actions cock on open as much as mine does?

Thanks
wade