The Deer Hunter's Guide by Francis Sell

At the recommendation of one of the campers, I recently purchased a copy of The Deer Hunter's Guide by Francis Sell. It has been an interesting read in that it shows a lot of where deer hunting was in the early Sixties.

Most writers have their favorite firearm and like to wear it on their sleeve. Jack O'Connor had his 270. The Benoits had their pump guns. Sell's was interesting: a 6.5X55 full-stocked bolt gun that he seemed to use in all situations except those requiring the longest shots.

Previously, I've asked about the full or Mannlicher style of stock -- it's benefits and uses. The response I got back was filled with a lot of "They look cool." A few folks that really used them for their intended purpose said that the full stock is a mountain rifle, and that one uses it on steep slopes to support their ascent.

In reading the book, I saw no mention of this use. The only reasons Sell gave were somewhat indirect. At one point, he was discussing the need for a shorter barrel and that the full stock was more elegant-- a standard sporter stock with a shorter barrel looked like a sawed-off shotgun. In another instance he was discussing rifle weight and balance and was related a story of a hunting companion that customized his rifle to such an extent that it became too light to effectively make a steady shot.

I just thought I'd ask you all what you thought of this. Does a Mannlicher stock do a better job of balancing a rifle with a short barrel?

BTW: in the interim, since my last thread asking about Mannlicher stocks, I have discovered another potential reason for them. Angus, #3 son, uses his M44 Mosin Nagant for close-in deer hunting, and he reports that the full stock keeps his hands warmer, since he has more wood to grasp instead of metal.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer