Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
Respectfully,
There IS a lot of dead wood in there... I'll buy .30-30 Winchester from Winchester/Olin and load it for the like new Pre-64 94 my father left me... Winchester/Olin can't produce decent .270 Winchester Brass at the moment. The same can be said of .243 Brass and I have been working with it so this is not a slam. I used to prefer and generally love W-W Brass for Everything. Why I could not have bought 500 pieces of .375 H&H Brass instead of 200 when I was working on the range and my price was south of a give away... They need to stick to their core business and get QC under control before they become an also ran... I truly would be delighted if Lapua would start making .270 Winchester, bring back .300 Winchester Magnum, and bring .375 H&H Magnum into the fold. .300 H&H Magnum would be leave me like a kid in a candy store and I know it won't happen but it WOULD be nice... That said I am thrilled they started making 7mm/08 Remington Brass and hold out hope for the other really good cartridges... Time is money, and repetitive motion is carpal tunnel, I am THRILLED to pay for Lapua Brass. I really have ZERO use for .338 LM, however, guys are entranced by that case...

I think more shooters are more affluent than in years past and are willing to pay to play. I think this is being catered to quite a bit and I hope it continues to a point. It is the memories afield I enjoy not scrapping out junk brass... Buy once cry once.

Regards, Matt.

Regards, Matt.

In the Winchester/Olin lines, I'm having excellent accuracy from the 243 95 grain Extreme Point in my Remington 700 CDL-SF and RAR-P and from the 270 130 grain Power-Max Bonded in my CLR and Remington 760.

In the Hornady lines, I'm having excellent accuracy with everything that I've shot, with American Whitetail in 25-06, 270, and 7MM-08 being very accurate in all the rifles that I've shot it in. Their 6.5 Creedmoor ammo is also excellent, with the 120, 129, and 140 grain ammo doing sub-MOA in my inexpensive RAR-P, as well as in my Vanguard2 money pit.

In the Remington lines, the only cartridges that I buy are 170 grain 30-30s and they have been on the market so long that Fed/Rem/Win are all but interchangeable. I buy the Remington brand because I think that the little "scallops" on the RNCL bullets are cute.

In the Federal lines, I shoot the 80 grain "Blue Box" and 95 grain "Deer Thug" and "Fusion" in a couple of different 243s. I am thinking about switching to the Winchester/Olin 95 grain Extreme Point for all of the 243s that I don't load for, even though Federals are usually a little less expensive.

fwiw,
I pay more attention to brass availability. Premium bullets for any and every purpose are everywhere. We are living in the good old days of WONDER BULLETS... At least if you handled... I rarely ever buy loaded ammunition unless it is New Black Hills, Federal Match/Premium, or Winchester Premium and I am in a time crunch. Most cheap factory ammo, short winchester varmint .223, generally sucks... I, respectfully, don't have time for it...

Regards, Matt.

FORGOT LAPUA... Never find anything but rimfire around here, however, I have shot both Lapua & RUAG Factory and both were superb. Did NOT have to pay for it...

Last edited by Matt in Virginia; 02/16/16. Reason: FORGOT LAPUA/RUAG

NRA Life Benefactor Member