Originally Posted by Sako76
I'm going to RSA in May of this year and always planned on buying Global Rescue insurance and never using it. About 3 weeks ago I was pheasant hunting and passed out in the field. It was determined that I had a seizure. I'm 57, no history of seizures but I'm a little worried about being in Africa and having another seizure. If I have a seizure will HR automatically fly me to the States or will they say it's a treatable illness I'm Joberg. I've read some of the language on GR's website and its unclear.

1. If you read Global Rescue's stuff, you'll find you have to be admitted as an inpatient (not an observation patient) in order for them to fly you home. In my opinion, observation status is a scam by the insurance companies to help them get out of paying for needed hospitalizations.

2. Remember, the world's first heart transplant was done in South Africa. I think the quality of care may have been going down there but last I knew it was still pretty good.

3. As noted above, a first seizure is always worrisome. It can be as simple as a scar from an old head injury or something else. You might consider discussing with your doctor repeat imaging in 3 to 6 months even if you don't have another seizure during that time.