Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by coldboremiracle

Bullet weight is a big player for the longer shots, a 55gr out of a standard 22-250 might barely poke into and stay on a wooden fence post at 800yds, while a 75 fired from a 223 will splatter on steel. The only reason I mention it is to make sure your bullet weight/twist matches the ranges you intend to shoot.

I wouldn't stand in front of either bullet at 800 yards, but that analogy is a bit slanted in favor of the 223. Balistic charts show that although the 223 has maintained it's velocity better, it is still only about 200 FPS faster at that range, enough to know that the 55 grain will more than poke into a wooden post and I just wondered what steel or bullet you used to get that splatter with a 75 grain from the 223...

You'd be wise not to stand infront of either. Neither would I, I am simply recounting actual events as I witnessed them. Shooting 800yds at a steel plate hung from a wooden fence post, my brother shooting his 22-250 with 55hp's, and my 223 shooting 75 Amax's. The Amaxes would hit the plate leaving a visual and audible report, leaving only traces of copper near the base of the post. The shots from the 22-250 were never called, hit or miss. But we did find one of them poking out of the front of the fence post, it was plucked out and recovered. The velocity at impact must have been very slow, explaining why we likely saw not hit or misses. I wish I had taken a picture, as it was very interesting. But this was back before the age of the iphone.

"The first shot, is worth all the rest"