I have a suppressed Contender .44 that I shoot 335gr hard cast at 1000 - 1100 fps out of for hogs. Have friends who guide night hog hunts that use integrally suppressed .44 Ruger 77's, shooting 300gr XTP's at sub sonic velocities. The noise of the bullet hitting is loud enough to spook a hog, but if one out of a sounder fell dead of a heart attack the rest would run. They are very intelligent animals, and all the stories of killing multiple hogs with suppressed rifles while they stand around waiting to be shot are pretty much just stories. I don't consider the single shot Contender that much of a handicap, and have a couple of times dropped 2 hogs with a single shot. The advantage to the suppressor, as in any hunting in which they are used, is not having to use hearing protection, and not spooking every animal and human in the area.

Pretty sure a sub sonic load will not cycle the action on a Ruger .44 semi-auto carbine (I have one, haven't tried this yet), and some AR sub sonic loads don't cycle well, either.