I have embraced heresy fully and as a result may have to rename my cartridge the .30 SBN (Sneezer Bottle Nose).

Took a walk into the unknown today by loading up a very few rounds with Lord Black. I do not have a .30 cal compression die and my results are likely flavored by that fact, but the numbers follow:

Load #1: Brooks 183.5 Gr, dry wax lubed seated to 1.875" over 14 grains of Goex 3FG. That charge fills the case to the juncture of shoulder/neck which is where the bullet base comes to rest when seated. WW SRP, .001" neck tension.
#1 fired w/o suppressor: 777 fps @ 10'. Moderate fouling, no leading
#2 fired w/ suppressor: 806 fps, report somewhat louder than smokeless load but not much.

Load #2: Same specs other than, 1.2 gr Dupont 700X under 12.5 gr Goex 3FG.
#1 fired w/o suppressor: 913 fps, light fouling, no leading
#2 fired w/ suppressor: 838 fps, very light fouling, no leading. Report mildly elevated

The loads were an exploratory venture, not shot at a target. The loads were fired one each w/o suppressor, swabbed between shots, then one each w/ suppressor without swabbing.

The fouling was mild with both the duplex loads and somewhat surprisingly light given that the two fired with the can did not seem to foul particularly bad. Could be the duplex load erased the fouling footprint of the first to some degree.

Before going further I will find myself a compression die for the .30 cal and see what transpires. The velocity spreads were rather bizarre in my opinion. The velocities achieved were nonetheless perfectly useful for the cartridge, particularly with the duplex load.

Don't tell my wife that suppressors are dishwasher safe, OK?

Dan

PS: It works very well by the way.

laugh

L-R: Load 1 and 2 in order, swabbed after each shot. Load 1&2 as one
[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain