You can't hunt deer or any other large game in Ontario without a guide. Where do you find a guide? By staying at a resort and spending big money on guide and resort fees. Also, in the "Border Waters", the area just north of the Minnesota border with Ontario, there is no camping. The resorts did get that one passed years ago as they felt there were too many campers staying out in the bush and the resorts felt it was taking away from their business. Even though I have a place in Ontario, pay property tax, road tax, school tax and contribute to the economy for six months out of the year I can't camp on nearby lakes.

I camp anyway.

I've come to the viewpoint that Canada has a law governing everything - no matter how small - and that really does restrict freedom. For example, you can leave your boat and motor in Canada, but not your 4 wheeler. Makes no sense.

I don't ignore all the laws, but some are just too restrictive for someone who has been going to and living in Canada for 58 years. If caught, I'll rely on the "dumb old coot" defense.

Last edited by walt501; 03/06/16.