I can't really tell you why F&G lists no numeric objective for the Panhandle elk zone, perhaps because it is too difficult to get an accurate count from the air with the heavy tree cover in the panhandle. All in all elk herds in the panhandle are not in too bad of shape but we are in an ongoing battle to harvest enough predators (wolves in particular) each season to keep elk & moose numbers from crashing due to predation. Elk have always been tough to hunt and the wolves are not making things any easier, the 2 biggest differences I see are that the bulls are not quite as vocal as they used to be and some herds spend a lot more time on private land where they feel safe from wolves and other predators than they used to.

Whitetail are plentiful but mule deer population is a bit spotty, they have their favorite hangouts in the higher elevations and once you learn a few of these you can find mule deer to hunt when you want to but if you are looking for the best mule deer hunting in the state look at the southern half.

Bear population is good but all of the Bonners area is no bait & no dog hunting so you have to spot & stalk hunt, while doing so you have to be keenly aware that any bear you see could be a grizzly and you don't want to mistakenly shoot a grizzly, some thing about federal offenses and so on makes it a sticky subject.

There are several WMA's & refuges that have decent waterfowl hunting but a lot of the good hunting is in private fields at certain times, I'm not a waterfowl guy but that is what I know. The only real upland hunting is for grouse, further south in the state you will find more upland options, chukar etc.

I don't know what your budget is but most folks can't afford to buy enough land to do all their hunting on their own land however even a small piece in the right place can help your whitetail hunting opportunities, elk as well (on the years when they are there). If you are out here in April keep in mind that many of the animals you see in the fields will vanish into the mountains before hunting season opens, summer evenings will give you a lot better idea how many resident deer & elk live around any given property.

There is a very good diversity of hunting opportunity on public land but it is a place where you will have to spend some time to learn the country etc, you can't just watch an animal or herd from a distance and figure out what they are doing in a day or 2 very often, it generally takes time to piece things together from random sightings, trail cam pics, sign etc.

Not sure if this area is a good choice for you, if you prioritize what you are looking for I may be able to make a useful suggestion as to yes or no. One thing is for sure you will probably pay some dues for every animal you take on public land, especially trophy class animals.

A licensed outfitter can help a lot in short cutting the process of learning the country, the game and the best ways to hunt them but if you move here you may be asked to sign a waiver promising not to discuss hunting areas with others and made to wear a blindfold while traveling to the hunting area just for insurance...LOL! If you are interested in that sort of thing (just kidding about the blindfold) and would like to experience some spring bear hunting while you are out here I have a hell of a deal on a camp based spring bear hunt over bait with the option to do some spot & stalk hunting as well, I have a discount available from May 15- June 3, 2016. The hunting area is south of B.F. outside the grizzly recovery zone. PM me if interested or click on the link to our web site below for my contact info.

Better to do it when you're young so you can talk about it when you're too old than talk about it when you're young and do it when you're too old.

www.clarkforkoutfitters.com