I hear ya, John.

It's disappointing that a small manufacturer like BHA is unwilling or unable to work with you on the wood, especially if you're willing to pay extra to get what you want.

This is why I never buy a wood stocked rifle sight-unseen anymore. I've been burned one too many times by "upgraded" wood that was too optimistically graded. I only buy wood stocked guns at gun shows or one of the online gun sites (Gunbroker, Guns America, Guns International). Occasionally. I'll buy from a local gun store, if they happen to have an exceptional specimen, but I usually end up spending a bit more than I wanted at gun stores.

I won't even buy from the online sites if they fail to provide good clear photos of what they're selling. I'm to the point in my life now that any firearm that has wood on it will have nice wood or I won't own it. The only exception to this is if the firearm in question is such a good deal that it leaves money in the budget for me to restock with nicer wood.

I found mine on Guns International, and the seller provided great high definition photos, so I knew what I was getting beforehand. You certainly don't find these rifles for sale online very often, but if you can remain patient and keep at the search, you'll eventually be rewarded.

Ted