I have been experimenting with a couple lever action .44 magnum carbines, a Rossi M92 trapper and a Marlin '95 ( ballard rifling) stainless. The Rossi trapper is a self defence rifle, the Marlin meant for general use. The marlins slow twist & large bore is frustrating.
After a few trials and tests, i have the Rossi shooting OK with the NOE 265gr. RFP bullet at about 1100 fps, but the Marlin even after trying several lighter bullet styles and diameters continues to mock me.
Both rifles shoot jacketed factory loaded bullets OK, but the Marlin seems to want them exclusively. I slugged the bores, and the Rossi is .430 diameter and .431-.432 diameter cast bullets shoot good.
The Marlin is .4325 diameter, and the largest size die I could find is .433. I was getting bullets hitting sideways at 100 yards with a mild load of 7 gr. unique under a plain based bullet and 1100 fps. I did not try gas checked bullets in either rifle. Should I try heavier / faster loads, and try gas checks, would that help? Or just give up on the Marlin. I might just trade it off on something more cast bullet friendly. What do you think?