MarlinMark: I have lived in Montana since 1997 and Hunted here since 1968.
If you are interested in Hunting Elk I would advise you to research New Mexico, Arizona or Colorado!
The reason being - the Elk here in Montana have been affected by an over-population of transplanted Canadian Wolves.
The Elk are learning though - they are spending more and more time on private ranches and in larger and larger herds thereon.
If you don't have access to private lands/ranches in Montana then I think you would be better off Hunting in New Mexico, Arizona or Colorado (no over-population of transplanted Canadian Wolves there yet!).
Sad that.
I could have killed numerous Bull Elk on a huge ranch here in SW Montana that I have permission to Hunt on.
I Hunt Whitetails there and Hunting Whitey's there in the willows and thickets and such IS very sporting - the poor Elk thereon just bump around on the ranch in large herds and out in the open constantly richocheting from fence to fence when trucks/tractors come near.
Not my idea of sporting this - so I don't participate.
And I LOVE Elk meat!
By the way the elderly owner of this ranch was born on it and his grandparents, parents, nor him have ever had Elk "herded up" on their ranch like is happening now with the Canadian Wolf over-population.
Many of my local Elk Hunting friends are spending the money and time and other expenses to go down and Hunt New Mexico where the Wolves have not interrupted/decimated/changed the Elk and their habits/haunts.
Best of luck to you if you are interested in Hunting Elk in the Rockies.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy