Originally Posted by BWalker
The frontal area of the Barnes,by virtue of the petal shape is most times less than a lead and copper bullet expanded to the same diameter.
Monometal bullets in general wound much less. All the guys bragging about eating up to the whole bear this to be true.
The fact of the matter is proof of a bullets performance lays not in how a recovered bullet looks, but rather the reliability and authority by which it kills. Barnes are mediocre in both these regards IME.

Ben,

How many TTSX bullets have failed you, that you were sure of? This thread seems like a lot of bad-mouthing because of one pic of one bullet that Brad had the unfortunate experience of firing into an elk. I've also seen a couple of pics of failed Partitions, and if we're saying the TTSX is mediocre based on one pic, then I guess that applies to the PT, too. I've not seen more than a couple of pics of failed TTSX bullets on the entire interwebs. That's not a bad track record considering the huge number of them that have been used by internet users worldwide.

The fact is, TTSX bullets expand more aggressively, and exhibit some disintegration more often, than prior generations of the X bullet. I'm not sure about you, but I've been in on the killing of about 130 big-game critters now using Barnes bullets, and from what I've seen, send them through bone, and things go quiet real quick. Based on that modest sample of dead stuff, the reliability aspect of the X/TSX/TTSX has been stellar.

This moose died "with authority" when hit by a 140gr 7mm TTSX. The only bone hit being ribs. The wound channel speaks for itself- about a 4.5" hole through the lungs, the bullet entering just behind the onside shoulder, and exiting just in front of the paunch on the offside.

[Linked Image]

I've seen this kind of performance over and over with the TTSX. IME it definitely does more damage on average than the TSX did.