Originally Posted by Scott F
It is pretty soft, about 5% tin to 95% lead. It is easily scratched whit my thumb nail.

The penta and the HP lost between 2.5 and 7.6 grains. The 350 gr solid lost 9.5 grains. I was shocked that they retained that much.

Though soft, pure lead and tin is ductile and sticks together. The tin adds ductility until the alloy becomes too hard.

Originally Posted by 458 Lott
What alloy did you cast the hp's from? When I drove some 400 gr hp's cast from ww's @ 1200 fps from my 480 into silt they blew the nose off.

Clip on wheelweights are on the hard end of things and tend to be brittle. Not the best alloy for a HP, but can be alloyed with an equal amount of pure lead and 2% tin to gain some ductility at the expense of hardness.

At 1200fps, since you are running those bullets with lube you can water drop them and they will be hard enough to resist leading but still expand...that should work better.

With PC you can run them a lot softer like Scott and they won't lead.

400gr at 1200...that's a handful...950 for me and I'll let the 400 grains do the work.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."