Here's the story.

Went to a friend's shop tonight and another guy was there. We got to talking rifles and he said he bought a 300mag and had bought some ammo that wouldn't chamber in the rifle. Around here a 300Mag is always a 300Win Mag. He asked me to go across the street to his house and see if I could figure out the problem. I picked up the rifle, looked at the barrel, and immediately diagnosed his problem. It was stamped 300 H&H Magnum!

He really wants a 300Win Mag since ammo is more available so he's looking to unload this one. We may work up a trade for a shotgun I have. The rifle is a walnut/blued push feed model and is immaculate. I doubt it's had a box of shells through it. Winchesters are rare around this part of the country. Mostly Rems, Brownings, and Savages are all that come available on the used market so I'm not real sure about the value.

I'm not a big magnum fan, especially 300s, but I've always thought the H&H was a cool old cartridge. It's definitely something that very few folks around here own, and I like being different. I reload so ammo is not an issue.

I posted a price check thread in the classifieds about this since that forum seems to get the most traffic, but if anyone wants to chime in on value, feel free. Also, what's the recoil like on these? I'm fine with a 30-06, but the 300WinMag I had was just more recoil than I wanted, especially since I don't hunt anything larger than whitetails or hogs. My heaviest recoiling rifles at the moment are 7RemMag and 35 Whelen. Any reloading issues with the round? I know the push feed 70s are kinda the red haired stepchildren of the Winchester line, but are they quality rifles? Accurate? I own a few Pre-64s but I've never owned any of the modern Winchesters. Any and all opinions about the rifle and the cartridge are welcome.

Last edited by TATELAW; 04/06/16.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.