Originally Posted by Ringman
BWalker,

Weatherby would sell many more if they dropped that god awful stock shape. It needs to go the way of the leisure suit and shag carpeting.

I doubt that. Before I ever owned a Weatherby, when the 8mm Rem Mag came out, I had a 7 Rem Mag rechambered for a 7-8mm Rem Mag. It pounded me. I machined a flat place on the stock and glued a chunk of balsa wood on and began firing and carving and sanding and firing until I was no longer hammered by the recoil. Then I saw a Weatherby and realized all I did was copy ol' Roy's experiment.

The two recent stocks I purchased for light rifles, a Proof Research and an MPI, cost about an extra "C" note to get that shaped added to the stock. Both these stocks started life weighing twelve ounces. Now, with the recoil pad, trigger guard, inletting, and swivels they are about twenty-four ounces. There is no way I would have a hunting rifle if it did not have the Weatherby shape.

I will agree with you about the release. Both my stocks are like Remington ADL's.

Which stock fits you best depends on your build. The weatherby shape seems to pound me harder and have more muzzle rise than a straight comb stock. In addition the square forend feels poor in the hand.
The fact remains however, that many people find the weatherby stock atrocious looking.