That buck's reaction to the bullet was to stand up on the hind legs like the Lone Ranger's horse. Then he fell over backwards. I could see through the scope that he was stopped.

I did not find the bullet. In 20 some animals, I have never found the Nosler Ballistic tip, but I am usually aiming for lungs.

In 2007 with a 270 130 gr Nos Bal Tip 2875 fps wimpy load short barrel, I hit a mule buck going away an inch above the anus. The entire animal was gut shot from back bone fragments. It blew the whole nose off the animal. At 400 yards, I thought I hit him in the nose. I could see the nose shot off through the scope. That is terminal ballistics ~ 2000 fps and went the length of the buck.

I don't know how guys find bullets. But this year we had some animals turned into snack sticks at the butcher's. My friend bit into a bullet in his snack sticks. That was not his kind of bullet. It was solid Copper.

We found a bullet. But it was not ours.

[Linked Image]
Here is a buck I shot in the back when he was running away in 2014.
I try to keep the bullet above the backbone after that 2007 gut shot mess.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps