Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
You guys carry all this edged steel on a backpack hunt? I mean everything listed on a single hunt?

Field Dressing Gear: 8" Buck Knife, Gerber Gator Saw, ceramic/diamond sharpener, Havalon scalpel, and T.A.G. game bags.

Pocket Knife: Victorinox Swiss Army Knife - "Climber", “Tinker” or “Traveler”

Talus:

Yeah, I carry all of that field dressing stuff. As I mentioned in my response to Leftcarbon, I think my fixed blade Buck knife actually has a 6" blade. The Gerber Gator Saws weighs less than a Wyoming Saw and I need something to cut through the breast plate. The fixed blade knife will do it on a deer but not on an elk.

Once I watched a guy field dress an elk using only a Havalon scalpel. That was pretty slick. He said "If it's sharp, you don't need a big knife." I've only field dressed about 100 big game animals. I'm not that good at it yet.

I don't use the Swiss Army knife for field dressing. Folding knives get too much gunk in the hinge and I use that knife for eating. Plus I want to be able to make a reasonable impression of MacGyver.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.