2005 Rancher 4X4 Manual shift.

I screwed up this morning and didn't check for the green light when I shifted into neutral on getting to work, and before shutting the engine off. The machine is in neutral, but I am told there is some sort of internal switch (the green light) that gets stuck, and shorts the ignition whether or not the machine is in neutral. Shifting to neutral is supposed to reset that switch, but it did not this time.

This has happened before when shutting down in gear, but by rocking back and forth it has always - sometimes very reluctantly - gotten back into start mode. One time, I pushed it about a block to put it into a neighbor's garage overnight to warm up, but the green light came on just as I rolled it into the garage. Tonight I had it towed home in neutral and put it into the landlord's greenhouse (about 65 to 70 in there) hoping it just had some ice in it and will thaw out, but as yet, 3 hours later, nadda. I'll try again before going to bed

I can find nothing in the Clymer service manual that addresses this problem.

1. Is there a way to reset this switch - and where is it located (I think inside the transmission?) ? If it is external, maybe I can tap on it? Or work around it.

2. Am I going to have to take the transmission apart if it doesn't free up?

3. Is there a way to bypass or eliminate this engineering nightmare POS to avoid a similar problem in the future?

Any suggestions are welcome.

And no, I haven't checked the fuses yet, but will. I don't think that's the problem however. It never has been in the past.

Thanks.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.