this is going to be "tested" this weekend. The RP nickel brass was obtained as part of an estate liquidation a few years ago, had been sized and primed with cci primers, and left in that condition. Back in the 60's. the projectiles are 358156 which cast to about 160grains, over 2400 at 13grains. Not a top load, but it ain't weak either. They are going down range in that revolver and in a rifle.
cost?
negligable for the brass, lead was throwaway, cost was a few cents for the powder and primer. Primers were obtained back when you could get them for 9bucks a thousand.
I bet i don't have two bucks a box in this stuff.
and that is why one reloads, casts, and abhors paying the money for jacketed ammo. i should add by using various alloys/lead combinations i can control hardness from somewhere around 8 or 9 on the brinell scale up to the high 20's.
people have been experimenting with various lubes to get lead going as fast as jacketed with some success. I think powdercoating is a better idea. I have a really old lyman two hole mould in 50grain for .224 throwing a really sharp tipped spitzer. I think it was made originally for .222 or something like that. It's on the drawing board to work up for an a.r.15.
This probably isn't really needed but it negates being at the mercy of having to buy the projectiles. I remember getting .55grain winchester fmj's for 25dollars a thousand. Try that today. As to this stuff i can probably do ten boxes for about the price of one box at cabella's with better bullet selection too as they have made a lot of different molds for this caliber for a long long time. And the first bullets in the magnum were lead.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by RoninPhx; 04/28/16.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO