Originally Posted by KeithNyst
A rifle I recently picked up has some small rust spots on the barrel. I tried soaking well with Kroil (laid soaked gun patches over the spots for 3 days and then rubbed with the patches. No success.) I don't see #0000 bronze wool anymore, but did find some online labeled "fine"' which the vendors states is like #0 or 00 steel wool.

Is there #0000 bronze wool available anywhere that anyone knows of? If not, will "fine" bronze wool work without hurting the bluing?

So when steel wool doesn't work, you have to get more aggressive, but understand you're going to have a sliver spot when you're done unless you cover it with cold blue.

Put a few drops of oil on the affected spot. Now take an X-Acto knife and just lightly poke at the affected area a couple hundred times in a sewing machine type action. It will break up the rust and the oil will replace it or wash it away. When done, if you've done it all right, all the rust will be gone, but you'll have a silver spot. Just come back with some alcohol to de-grease, then cold blue.

Pitting that bad will never disappear, you have to know that going in.