Hi all,

I am finally going on a dream Dall sheep hunt in 2017. I will also be going on a DIY Goat hunt in the next year or so depending on draw odds! I'd also use it for Wyo or CO backpack hunts for Mule deer and Elk.

I have been researching a good ultra-light yet carry heavy backpack for a 4-10 day hunt that is also compressible to take on the daily hunts once at basecamp. Price is not an issue- best fit and usability is.

Three packs have come recommended- love your thoughts as to the pros/cons of the "meat haule shelf" versions and what you think of them.

• McHale Custom Backpack: $1500 all-in- super light, great reputation, built for a lifetime, see link - it's also highly compressible for a day-pack. Cons: I would need to position meat on the inside closest to internal frame and store gear around it on the pack out: http://www.mchalepacks.com/ultralight/detail/MBSuper.htm
  • Stone Glacier Sky 5100: $700 all-in, light, material not as tough as McHale and no custom fit, only closest size; has the "meat hauler shelf" and is also compressible as a day pack
  • Kifaru pack and frame 5000+/-": $700+ all-in, medium weight, I don't know much about them.

Thoughts or comments on one of the above choices?

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards